Posts tagged fannishcodex
Posts tagged fannishcodex
I’ve been meaning to check out Big O, so that’s my vote.
Alrighty then. That’s 3 for Big O, looks like we have a winner!
Salutations everyone. I thought I’d plonk down a general list here of my upcoming essays/projects just in cast people were interested.
- Another video project, probably an Anime Music Video this time. I’m currently trying to decide between a K-on! or Persona 4 tribute
- Series reviews of both Pound Puppies S1 and GI Joe Renegades. (Short version: both programs are excellent examples of their respective genres with sharp writing and engaging characters… but of course, both still have a couple little points that prevent them from reaching true greatness)
- Korra discussion… Tenzin vs. Obstacles in Life
- A few brief pieces on Tron: Uprisingand what makes it so interesting to me personally. I already have a small one here.
- Transformers Animated’s Arcee… that’s gonna be a bit of a negative-nelly one, I’m afraid… Well, what can you do?*
- Beast Wars, my definitive childhood TV show and why it’s so awesome even to this day
- This will have to wait for the season to conclude… but I’ve been noticing a very interesting theme in Transformers Prime regarding the Decepticons and Autobots… but, like I said, I’ll need to wait for the season to cap off to see if I’m right or not
- Osmosis Jones discussion (aka best movie ever)
- More Dreadwing the Moth adventures…
So, that’s what’s on the slab right now. As you can see… it’s pretty varied. If there’s anything that stands out to you as super interesting or something you think should wait awhile, leave a comment or send me an ask. Let me know if you’re more interested in a Persona 4 AMV or a K-on one too if you’re so inclined. If there’s something you don’t see above that you’d like to ask me about, feel free to do that too.
To any rate, as always, thanks for listening.
*I suppose I could counterbalance with a discussion on things I like about TFA. While it may not be my favorite cartoon nor my favorite Transformers iteration at the best of times, it still is an entertaining program, and does have a lot of good points. It certainly isn’t a bad show, not at all…
Tenzin down, and it was awesome.
HELL YEAH BEAST WARS.
Looking forward to a lot of this!
Aw, thank you very much. It makes me happy that people enjoy reading my stuff and find it interesting.
As for Beast Wars, there’s just so much about that show I find discussion worthy, it’s difficult to pick just a few things.
I wonder if there’s anything in particular with regards to BW people would like me to focus on?
I really loved Elinor. It would’ve been cool if they pulled a Finding Nemo and made the parent the protagonist.
I agree. Now, don’t get me wrong, I love Merida. She’s a great character and a fun protagonist. They did a good job of blending teenage strong-headedness with her desires to live as a warrior. Her character animations and vocal performances were great, and her ranger skills are impressive too. Hell, put Merida on The New Team Avatar coach, she’s ready*!
But, to me anyways, Elinor was by far the more dynamic and robust character. After-all, she’s the one that turns into an animal, must learn how to survive in a completely new environment, nearly loses her humanity, and ultimately fights/kills Mor’du. Furthermore, Elinor is far more changed by her experiences within the film than Merida. Of course, Merida does evolve as a character, yes. But her arc is more about learning to admit her wrongdoings, accepting responsibility for her kingdom while still proving she can be a new kind of warrior-princess. Merida has a goal, there are obstacles, she works to overcome them, and she ultimately obtains what she wants (doesn’t have to marry, gets a better relationship with her mom, balances personal interests with work). Whereas Elinor completely restructures the way she sees herself, her daughter, and the future of their kingdom. Elinor comes out of the film a very changed woman.
Pixar’s always been one to challenge audiences with protagonists you wouldn’t typically find in children’s movies; serving up adults, parents, and senior citizens in focal roles. Finding Nemo and Up would not be as interesting or deep if Nemo and Russel were the central characters of their films respectively. However, I understand that it took a long time and considerable effort to get a female protagonist out of a Pixar film, so hopefully one with a female adult/parent/senior/whatever is not far off.
As I said, this isn’t a deal breaker on Brave for me at all, because I like Merida so much anyways and the film, for what it is, is solid.
*(Just imagine… Merida on Naga’s back shooting arrows over Korra’s shoulders and bracing herself on Bolin’s head… “Steady on then!”)
“Coin-operated boy” by Dresden Dolls for Aya and Razer in Green Lantern? With Aya being the coin-operated boy.
Hmm… It certainly is an interesting song (and has a visually impressive official video too). And I want to say thank you for your interest and the suggestion. But I’m looking to do a more general series overview, rather than a couple-specific video. Upon further consideration, I probably wouldn’t be doing the Green Lantern video until S2 finished airing, as that would give me more footage to work with. Once again, thank you for your suggestion.
Ah, well as I said, I have mixed feelings. I feel it was a well written and well animated program… but that it had some rather interesting flaws and/or weak points. However, I wonder if others would be interested in me discussing my thoughts on the series as a whole?